Mama Diaries

Friday, January 28, 2011

Fabricating Sunglasses

My ancient sunglasses finally broke after I had put them in my purse today. I think they got smashed with all of the clutter and kid toys that are in there.

"Mom, I'm going to make you a new pair of sunglasses," my six-year-old son announced.

"Okay," I said. "Have fun."

He found a big piece of cardboard. He found a pen, scissors, and scotch tape.

"This requires careful planning," he said. "I'm going to make the design first."

He took the pen and drew an elaborate picture of sunglasses (which was pretty amazing, since the letters and words he writes in school are so illegible.) Then he assigned a number to each of the parts. "We have to know how to connect them once they are cut out," he explained.

Then he attempted to cut. The cardboard was a little thick. "Mom, will you cut this out?"

I did.

Then he got out the scotch tape and taped the ear pieces on to the frame. "Here Mom, try these on."

I put them on. Would you believe, they actually fit?

No comments:

Post a Comment