Mama Diaries

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Little Miner

I took my kids to a museum today.  At the museum, there were several geodes and precious gems on display.  My son loves that stuff.  It inspired him to do a little geology of his own.

So we stopped at the museum gift store and picked up a quartz mining kit.  This kit consisted of a big block with four quartz specimens imbedded inside.  The kit also contained tools to chisel the quartz specimens from the block.

We took the kit home and my little guy went to work.  He wanted to do the project inside, but I knew that would've been a mistake.  I had him go outside on the driveway.

He started off very nicely chiseling the block.  I went inside to make dinner.

A few minutes later he came in the house completely covered with dust.

"Dude, you're filthy!" I said.

He grinned.  "I got two pieces out!"

"Already?"

"Yeah.   I found an easier way to get them out."

"What did you do?"

"I smashed them on the driveway with another big rock."

I had to go investigate.

Sure enough, the driveway was covered in dust and debris.  At the worksite was a very large rock.

"Dude, that's not how you're supposed to do it.  That's not very scientific!  You could harm the specimen!"


"So?  It was fun!  I want to be a miner when I grow up!"

Oh boy. 

1 comment:

  1. It's really great to hear that parents do bond with their children. This will create a memory on the brain that their parents loved them so much, and so the child becomes a loving person as well. He can also add it to his list of most favorite moments with my mom. Journals and diaries are great to read when you grow older and specially if you part of it.

    ReplyDelete