Mama Diaries

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Cupcake Crumbs

Tomorrow will be my son's eighth birthday party.  (He now informs everyone that he is seven and four quarters years old.)  Since my boy loves turtles, I made him a turtle birthday cake.  It required two batches of cake mix - a full cake for the shell, and cupcakes for the legs and head.

Needless to say, the house smelled great.  Of course, my kids had their friends over while I was busy baking.

"Mrs. Ellis, that smells really good.  Can we have some?"

"No," I said.  "These cupcakes are for the party tomorrow."

They gave me sad faces.  I felt kind of bad, because I know how hard it is to be a kid and smell baking, and not get a sample.  Maybe if they're good, I can spare a few cupcakes, I thought.

I went about my business.

About twenty minutes later, I went to check on the kids.  They were in the loft with hermit crabs crawling all over them.  And do you know what else?  There were cupcake crumbs all over the floor. 

Uh oh.

"Kids," I said.  "What's going on here?"

They gave me the guilty look. 

"But they looked so good, we couldn't resist," they said.

I shook my head and got the vacuum.  "Glad you enjoyed them.  Now you can clean up the crumbs."

Hee hee. 

.

12 comments:

  1. Great story. My son likes turtles as well so we did a reptile party and they got to hold snakes, crocodiles and of course turtles. It wasn't cheap, but in our acse was worth every cent.
    And yes, the birthday cake was a giant Turtle!
    All the best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A reptile party sounds like a great time! I'll have to keep that in mind for a future party.

      Delete
  2. haha well if they made the mess it's only right they clean it up, unless the hermit crabs wanted a snack too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those hermit crabs are pretty useless. I should've brought Schultz up there. He would've cleaned it up!

      Delete
  3. That's right, make 'em clean up their own mess! My wife likes that DC cupcakes show, and I'm hoping she starts practicing with some of the recipes real soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen that show. I bet there are some really good cupcakes on it, though!

      Delete
  4. LOL. Enjoyed this post. At least Schultz was guilt-free in this one. : )

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your son!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! That doesn't happen often! (Schultz being guilt-free, that is.)

      Delete
  5. Hermit crabs? I'd scream about the hermit crabs and then about the cupcakes.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm used to the creatures around the house, so the crabs didn't bother me. LOL!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I'll let him know you've sent birthday wishes :)

      Delete