Mama Diaries

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Flying Food and Dancing on Chairs

It was party time!  My dad and my son had some birthdays to celebrate today.  We all went out to Iron Chef, a funky hibachi grill restaurant.  I didn't realize quite how funky it was until I got there. 

The "iron chef" came out and started making fire and throwing his cooking knives into the air.

"Whoa!"  my son said.  "You're crazy!"

The hibachi guy laughed.  Then he spun some eggs on the hot grill and flipped them into his hat and into his pocket.

"Cool!" said my son.  "Can I do that?"

Hibachi guy laughed again.  "It an ancient Chinese art form.  It take many years to master."

I guess that was a "no."

Next came the flying food part.  "Open your mouth," hibachi guy said.  He started flinging chicken pieces at us, expecting us to catch it in our mouths.  My little guy had some trouble, so hibachi guy said, "Close your eyes.  I help."  He whipped a piece off his metal spatula and it landed right in his mouth.  Bullseye!

That guy was good.

After the meal, a bunch of drum-toting Asian dudes gathered around us.  They pointed to my son and my dad.  "You," they said.  "Get up, and stand on your chairs."

Seriously?

So Bubba, who thought it was great to finally get to stand on a chair and not be yelled at, hopped right up with a big grin on his face.  Even my dad, who is now officially retired, got up on that chair.  The drum beats started.  My dad did a boogie, my son did something that looked a little like break-dancing, and the whole restaurant sang "Happy Birthday."  

It was a moment to remember.



    

17 comments:

  1. That was definitely a birthday to remember! Lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. I couldn't believe they made my dad stand on a chair. It was hilarious!

      Delete
  2. haha sounds like an awesome memory for sure

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds much better than the restaurants where someone puts a silly hat on the celebrant's head and all the servers sing a weird version of happy birthday while they clap their hands.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a cool way to celebrate the birthdays. And getting to dance on a chair without getting in trouble. I bet your son was still grinning when he went to bed. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can laugh just picturing your dad and your son.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kids either love or hate those places

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, my son loved it. He's a crazy kind of kid, anyway!

      Delete
  7. awwwww so cute--what a great time--double happy bdays :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun to celebrate both birthdays like that!

      Delete
  8. That sounded like so much fun. We have restaurants like that in SC but it's called Yokoso and Wasabi's. And the food is delicious!! Glad to hear that both birthday boys ;) had fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iron Chef was a ton of fun. If you have a place like that, go there for your birthday. You'll have a blast!

      Delete
    2. Hey, I just wanted to let you know, in case you come back to read this, that I'm unable to post comments on your blog. I've tried twice now, and the box to type a comment just never shows up. I enjoy reading your blog, though!

      Delete