Mama Diaries

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

The Pizza Project

My daughter had another friend over, and this time the girls wanted to make homemade pizza.  (Are you noticing a trend here?)

I got them some refrigerated pizza dough, pizza sauce, and all the toppings.  "All right girls.  Here you go."

They looked at me with an utterly confused expression on their faces.  "What are we supposed to do?" the friend asked.

"Read the directions," I said, and walked away.

Apparently, their direction-reading wasn't so good.  Because when I came back in, they had all the toppings on the raw pizza dough.

"Uh, ladies," I said.  "Aren't you supposed to pre-cook the pizza dough?"

"Where does it say that?" my daughter asked.

"In the directions."

"Oh."

The girls looked at each other.  "Now what do we do?" they asked.

"Well," I said. "You have two choices:  You can take all the toppings off, and start over, this time following the directions, or you can cook it for the first eight minutes at high heat so hopefully the crust will cook, and then lower the heat for another six minutes so you don't burn the cheese."

"We'll do the second way," the friend said.  "Reading directions is way too hard!"  

34 comments:

  1. My husband trying to follow directions often ends the same way. At least when it comes to cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your daughter's friend appears to be choosing The Hard Way to learn Life Lessons. Can't say you didn't see it coming....;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly I did not know that you have to precook the Pizza dough. I learned something here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! And you didn't have to read the directions!

      Delete
  4. Did it turn out to be more than sludge?

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! I taught third grade ~ I so get this story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should have them make the dough... that's the best pizza and it is a learning experiment to work with yeast, but it takes time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time is the issue. Maybe we'll plan ahead and do that next time.

      Delete
  7. Hmm I too like to taste you daughter's pizza mam.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I probably would have made that mistake too :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess if you've never done it before, and you don't like reading directions, it would be a common mistake.

      Delete
  9. I've tried to wing recipes before too, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like food with as few directions as possible. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not much of a cook so I understand. Not sure I would want a slice, though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Reading directions is too hard;" at least they voiced what all kids think, ha ha. Have a great day, Sherry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And reading directions isn't fun! Hope you have a great day, too!

      Delete
  13. I have one of those husbands, too. He only read the instructions when he gets stuck...usually too late.

    How bad was the finished pizza?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It turned out fine. The pepperoni was a little curled up, but the crust was cooked and the cheese wasn't burned.

      Delete
  14. Too funny! Sounds like something my son would do. "I have to read directions??"

    ReplyDelete
  15. I see in your comments that the pizza turned out pretty good in spite of the lack of reading directions. Sounds like you saved the day with your verbal cooking directions.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great tip by the way. Glad it turned out well.

    ReplyDelete